Now that you have determined that WordPress is the tool for you, the next step in the process is to get WordPress from its website over to your website. You will likely want to purchase your own hosting plan for your blog. This way, you have much more flexibility in how you use your WordPress blog, as compared to simply starting a blog on WordPress’s website itself. For some personal users that is not a problem in and of itself.
However, the following steps will help you to install WordPress on your web server through your hosting plan. You can find much more useful tips about WordPress on this website too.
- First, ensure that you and the host have the minimum requirements to run WordPress. Then, download the latest release of WordPress to your hard drive. You will need to download the file to a folder on your hard drive and then unzip it.
- You will need to have a secure password that will be your secret key.
- You will then create a database for WordPress that is located on your web server. You will need to create a MySQL user. This person should have all privileges available so that they can make modifications to the blog at any time.
- You will then need to rename it from the following: wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php. Then, open this up in your text editor. You will then need to fill in some basic details here.
- You will then place these files on the location you wish to on the web server. In most cases, this requires moving or uploading all of the contents of the directory (that you have unzipped to this point) to the root directory of your web server. You can also move it to a subdirectory if you would like to.
- Once this is done, run the WordPress installation script. You can do this by going to wp-admin/install.php on your browser.
Once you have done this, you may be told to reboot, but in short, you should have WordPress up on your web server at this point. The process only takes about five to ten minutes (though it may take a few extra minutes if this is your first time using this type of software and upload method.) However, once you have it in place, you can and should start to use it. It only takes a few minutes to navigate to the login page to get started on the process.